Saturday, February 28, 2009

Dr. Christie


Under Dr. Christie's Educational Technology Guide, the first thing that caught my attention was the instant messaging part. There are articles about instant messaging, lists of instant messaging "vocab," etc. As a teacher, I need to be up to date on the latest "fads" with the age groups that I am teaching. I need to know how my students tick and what interests them. Although I am still young enough to know the "fads" with kids in school and the "vocab," I will not always be and I can refer to her website to keep me updated.

She also has a page for instant messaging and text messaging that describes what they are. Also, she goes into some detail about the pitfalls and potentials of them. Children are only going to be more technologically savvy as the years go by. The information she gave got me thinking about how I can use this progression of technology knowledge as a way to reiterate life lessons in safety in driving(on phone, texting,etc.), not interacting with strangers(online), etc.

Under her Educational Technology Guide, she has a whole portion for rubrics. She has sample rubrics that I could use, depending on the projects that I want to do. She also explains why rubrics are important. I see that rubrics are important because it gives students a way to kind of grade themselves before turning in assignments. I think that is a really good idea and something I would like to use when I teach. I always hated when I was not really sure what my teacher wanted from me for assignments.

The other thing that caught my eye under her Educational Technology Guide is different roles a teacher can take in the classroom. The different roles a teacher can take are a facilitator, collaborator, curriculum developer, team member, community builder, educational leader, and an information producer. She had some samples of how other teachers have succeeded at these different roles. This can help me by letting me see which roles are best for me in my class or school.

No comments:

Post a Comment