Saturday, February 28, 2009

Wikipedia: Is it reliable?

It is kind of intersting that this is our blog post for the week because this is also my group's podcast topic. I did not know about companies, etc. changing information on their wikipedia pages to make them sound better. I guess I never really thought about that. I did not think that people would care that much about what Wikipedia said about them, their companies, etc.

I personally believe that Wikipedia can and cannot be trusted, to a degree. I believe that Wikipedia is alright for a general overview of a certain subject, but not good for details. If you look up "Boston Tea Party," it is good for getting the idea that it was a protest by Americans against the British Government, but the little details might not be correct. It is a good idea to check the sources that are posted and research how trustworthy they are. Also, it is a good idea to look up the same information other places and compare.

No comments:

Post a Comment